Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Help


    "The Help" is the first book I decided to write about. I am currently reading it, so I haven't finished it yet, but it has me somewhat perplexed. It takes place in 1960's Alabama and follows the story of two african american maids during the begining of the civil rights movement. I understand the concept of the book and I know that it is meant to be moving, but I'm having a hard time connecting with this story. I was born and grew up in a predominately white town some 20 years after the movement has ended, so maybe I don't understand the signifigance of this story. I have tried to use my own experiences to relate. I have looked at the people in my generation that have been persecuted, like the gay community and how I feel about that, but this just seems different. It's not a good comparison and I'm not sure why I can't find anything in this book to relate to.
   On a totally unrelated note, I have a hard time reading the parts that are in the voice of the maids. It is meant to have the same slang and southern drawl that they would actually have, but my crazy correct grammer brain screams in frustration. I know this seems stupid, but anytime I read a book that doesn't have proper english or that the author does not use imaginative and different ways to tell the story I get really frustrated and bored. I wouldn't disregard this book simply based on the grammer. That is just a personal issue that I need to find a way around. In reality this book is well written and shows (I think) in a very realisitic way how people lived and felt about what was going on around them.
     In all I would say check it out. It might seem more rewarding to someone that grew up in this era or has a more diversified childhood. It is well written and you can tell that the author thought out each character. They all have their own specific personalities and parts to play. I have yet to see how the story plays out, but I am excited about finding out.
   If you have any thoughts or comments about a way to for me to find a connection, I would enjoy the imput.
Thanks,
Book Horder

1 comment:

  1. I also have a hard time reading dialects that are written in stories. You are not alone!

    I would just push through and that way you might find something to grasp onto.

    --Natalie--

    ReplyDelete