Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Water For Elephants



(spoiler alert)

 I recently finished "Water for Elephants" and found it mostly charming and interesting. However, I think that some of the more 'sexually charged' situations kind of took away from the book as a whole. In reality there was only one part that really bugged me, but I didn't feel like it was all that important to the story.

 This story is one of those that goes back and forth between narratives. I often find that distracting, and this book was no different. I understand why the author had the chapters of  'Jacob' as an old man, especially when setting up for the rest of the story, but overall, I felt it added little in the way of understanding or plot.

 The other thing about this book, is that I found it rather pradictable. I already knew what was going to happen before the story even started. The only question that was even answered through reading the book was who killed 'August'.

 I would recommend reading this book, but don't expect any great life changing revelations. It's your basic boy meets girl that is married to paranoid schitzophrinic and falls in love. It is a good light read, a guilty pleasure if you will, to clear your mind after reading something heavier. I found it was just what I needed after reading crime and punishment, but not the great litterary work of art I had been led to think it was. Enjoy!

The Book Hoarder

No comments:

Post a Comment