Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jane Eyre



      When I initially started "Jane Eyre" I planned on not liking it. I was under the impression that it would be full of boring conversations, in much the same way as "Pride and Prejudice" as well as other Jane Austen novels. It was different right from the begining, but I still found it lagging in the begining and though I felt for the plight of 'Jane' as a child, I was bored with the consistancy of her misery. It was almost depressing. It took a little while, but the book began to show glimpses of joy. I was relieved because I had had enough of the 'woe is me' atttitude of the book up to that point.

     In the second part of the book I was totally absorbed with the blossoming love that began to develop between 'Jane' and 'Mr. Rochester'. I knew that it would not end well. The book put in alot of onimous events, and it was clear that 'Mr. Rochester' was hiding a big secret. I was kind of shocked that 'Jane', being as smart as she was portrayed, did not tie the unusual events to something that my come between her and the object of her desire. I think it was horrid of 'Mr Rochester' to wait until the day of his impeding wedding to 'Jane' to suddenly spring on her the surprise. I was so mad at what he had done to her. I will not go into the specifics, but having been in a somewhat similair (yet different in it's own way) situation myself, I felt for 'Jane'. It is hard to explain to someone that hasn't been in a similair situation to explain the complete horror at having your heart completely broken, and feeling completely betrayed to the bone.

    After the before mentioned(or unmentioned) event, 'Jane' searches for solace in a differnt place. This too I can understand whole heartidly. I too tried to escape, to make a 'change of scenery' if you will. Like 'Jane', I too found my new accomidations adaquit and almost happy life, but there is always that longing for something lost. Eventually, both of us returned to a place we called home, but this is where our stories differ. She returned to her betrayer, I would not for all the world have done that. I'm sorry, but once that trust is so broken, in such a profound way, even the most humble among us cannot forgive.

     I realize that I am not 'Jane', but I connected so intimately with her story (as an adult) that the emotions in the book flowed through me as if they where my own. As I said before, I did not intend to enjoy this book, but having discovered it's secrets, I think I found a new favorite. I know that not everyone will connect with it in the way that I did, but I hope that they will at least give it a try. This is definatley a read.

The Book Hoarder
           

1 comment:

  1. So, you totally inspired me to pick up a copy when I spotted it at Target today. I saw it sitting there and remembered you liked it so I'm going to give it a go. I just gotta get through a couple other books first. lol

    ReplyDelete